Monday, February 04, 2013

Sketchbook From Walser's



 
I bought this sketchbook about 10 years ago from Walser's in Torrance, CA. I have never seen this sketchbook anywhere but that store. There was a girl who gave a talk at one of my illustration classes and her artwork was awesome. She said she liked this type of sketchbook because it took to paint pretty well when she added it to her drawings.
 
The paper is thicker than the black bound sketcbooks, but not as thick and yellow as the Moleskine sketchbooks. The Moleskine sketchbooks have a sheen to the surface that doesn't take to watercolor very well.
 
I haven't done too many drawings in this sketchbook because I've been afraid to mess it up, but I decided to finally use it on a more regular basis. I did add some watercolor to one of my drawings and it turned out pretty nice. The paper didn't buckle and didn't get blotchy from water absorption. I didn't use that much paint, so the surface of the paper stayed flat and the colors remained rich.
 
Walser's is not a cheap art supply store, but I think this sketchbook is worth the price. I believe the store is still in Torrance. It was on Hawthorne, but they may have moved. They also have an online store, I think. I don't know if they still sell this sketchbook. It would be a shame if they didn't.

No comments: