Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Pilot FriXion Erasable Pen

My husband wanted to go to an art store today and asked me if I wanted to go with him. I was reluctant at first because I didn’t want to spend money on stuff I thought was cool but wasn’t going to use. I haven’t been drawing or painting on a regular basis for a few years now.

There were a lot of cool new things I hadn’t seen before and, of course, there were sketch books I wanted to buy, but I refrained. I still  have several that I haven’t filled up, yet.

I saw this cool ink called Witches Brew. It claims to be the blackest ink on the market and is used by manga artists. I was so tempted to get it! The font on the label was cool and I imagined myself doing awesome drawings with it. I held onto it for a long time debating on whether or not to buy it. Then, I read that you shouldn’t inhale it. What? It was flammable. That was a deal breaker for me. I don’t need to be stinking the room up while I draw, give myself a headache or cancer, and then burn the house down. Plus, I’d like to keep every one of my brain cells so I can write interesting stories. So, sadly, I put the ink back.

Oh, but then I found a pen that erases! It wasn't the old crappy Eraser Mate pen that is tacky to the touch and sticks to your hand. This looked similar to the black ink pens I draw with. I was thrilled! The cashier told me to wait for the ink to completely dry before erasing it so it wouldn’t smudge.

This pen is called the Pilot FriXion. It looks pretty cool, but the store only had them in a 0.7mm ball point. I hate drawing with 0.7mm points. I like 0.5mm points because you can work from light to dark in layers of hatch marks. I don’t know if this pen comes in a 0.5mm. My drawings are small, so the line width makes a difference.

Okay, so I just did a quick 5 min. drawing using the FriXion pen. It erases pretty good, but not perfect. There still were a few smudge marks where I tried to erase the lines. Maybe I didn’t wait long enough for it to dry. The ball point was not as smooth as I prefer. It stopped rolling at certain points which was aggravating. Maybe I’m a bit rusty since I don’t draw every day anymore, but the drawing didn’t turn out as well as I hoped. It’s a sketch of one of the characters I’m currently writing about.


I guess I can overlook those minor drawbacks to the pen since it can erase. I’m still glad I bought it, but I was hoping to do some amazing mistake-free drawings with it. lol  I wanted to have one of those “amaze your friends” moments, but that didn’t happen. Oh well. I’ll keep working with it and see what happens.

Below is a photo of the drawing with the pen that erases.


No comments: