Monday, March 03, 2014

Face-a-Day and NaBloPoMo

 
This is another attempt at drawing a guy. I'm still trying to figure it out. I'll get it right one day. I think what makes him look feminine are the dark lips and the eyelashes. I don't know. It's frustrating.

I drew this with a blue ball point pen from the Getty Center Museum. It's one of those souvenir pens that have the liquid inside. If you tilt it, the tram slides forward. I really like drawing with this pen! It doesn't glop up like other ballpoint pens. Who knew? It can hold a very fine, light line so you can actually put in subtle shadows.

NaBloPoMo Prompt: 5 Interesting Things About Me

I can ride a skateboard. My mom found my old skateboard from when I was twelve and gave it to me.

I started to skateboard to the elementary school to pick my kids up because I was too lazy to walk. Kids and parents thought it was cool. I was the skateboarding mom. Other moms would tell me that their kids wanted a skateboard, too.

At the time, I thought everyone grew up knowing how to ride a skateboard. I was surprised to find that wasn’t the case. But one dad said, “Hey, I used to have a skateboard just like that when I was a kid, but mine was yellow.” I could see the nostalgia in his eyes. It was cool. What was even cooler was later seeing 2 teenage girls leaving school with their own brand new skateboards. See? Girls can skateboard, too.

**
I learned how to draw faces in my 7th grade art class. Mrs. Nozaki was the teacher’s name. I was pretty good at it, so I was encouraged. None of my classmates enjoyed the class as much as I did. I drew a punk rocker and thought it was so good. I pinned it up on my bulletin board at home. Years later, I looked back at it and thought it was terrible. I think I ended up throwing it away. Now I wish I had kept it.

**
My family is from Hawaii, but I grew up in California. When I was a kid, I visited my grandma in Hawaii. I didn’t care about the sites or the beaches at the time. I just wanted to read Archie, Betty and Veronica, and Richie Rich comics. She and my cousins gave me a stack of those comics. They were old, but I loved them. I would take the bus to the store with my grandma and she would buy me more comic books. The bus ride was 10 cents at the time. That was one of the best trips to Hawaii I ever had.

**
I took Tang Soo Do Korean Karate when I was a kid. I don’t see that around too much now.

**
I like to watch MMA fights. I didn’t like the violence at first, but these fighters love to fight and don’t mind getting hit. It’s a dream job for them just like anyone else’s dream. Most of them are good people, too. Now, my husband and I have friends who fight professionally. We like to go to their fights to support them as much as our pocketbook allows. :o)

No comments: