Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Face-a-Day, I Don't Like You Going Out With My Daughter

 
I drew this with a red gel pen. I hate gel pens, but I wanted to use this color. It was what I expected. Gel pens do not write smoothly. If you slow down, the ink will stop flowing properly. You can't get controlled fine lines out of them, either. The good thing about it is that it smears when you go over it with a water brush to get some pretty good shadows.

I tried drawing a cartoon version of myself today for a possible web comic strip, but it didn't turn out so great. I have to practice the comic strip style. It needs to be really simple. Like the character from the Big Nate books. 

I'm inspired by this French web comic called Chez Kek: http://blog.zanorg.com/ It's not the prettiest comic strip around, but the guy does know how to draw. Look at all the clothing and backgrounds. He knows his perspective and he knows how to draw simply. His lines flow. They're not sharp which is more pleasing to the eye. 

I'm not as funny as he is, but I'm going to dabble with it and see what I can come up with. If it doesn't come out good, it will never see the light of day. Bwahaha!


No comments: