Wednesday, June 04, 2014

Face-a-day, Korean Girl

 
So, I'm back to drawing in another Moleskine sketchbook. For today. I cleaned out a couple of fountain pens that were dried up. I'll write more about that in my next post. 

The pen I used for this drawing is called the Pen & Ink Sketch Fountain Pen. Original, right? It's not the smoothest flowing pen, but it's okay. The pen itself looks nice, but the quality isn't all that great. It came in a suede pouch that looks all fancy, but if I knew then what I know now, I wouldn't have bought it. I wish it had a finer tip. 

So far even the most expensive fountain pen I bought with a gold tip doesn't even compare to the good old croquille pen where you dip the nib in ink. What I don't like about fountain pens with cartridges is that the tip is not fine enough to get a feathery light line. You have to press hard to get the ink to flow and when it finally does flow, the line is too dark. It's harder to get a variation of thick and thin lines.

Okay, on an entirely different topic, I just found out that Joseph Stoddard is teaching a watercolor workshop for Swain's Art Supply in Glendale, CA on July 12 & 13. He is an awesome watercolorist! I have his book of watercolor landscapes that he did around Pasadena. The dude has skills! I stare at his artwork and try to soak in what he did. It looks like he just slapped down some paint and it came out beautiful. Happy accidents? I don't think so. I tried to do what he did and I'm like, "What the -?" I get an overworked painting. 

I think the workshop is around $70-$75 for two days. Check out his web site and weep at: http://www.josephstoddard.com/




No comments: