Thursday, March 31, 2016

Sergio Aragonés - Groo

 
I was so excited to spot Sergio Aragonés, the creator of the comic book Groo, at Wondercon 2016. I missed his panel on Sat. so I was pretty bummed about that because it was a Quick Draw panel where several artists drew on-the-spot whatever the audience called out. I had no idea he had a booth in the exhibition hall. We weren't even going to go on Sun., but I wanted to go back to see the last few aisles I missed on Sat. 

There was only one lady in front of me at the booth. After she left, I bought a few Groo comics. He signed them all. Since there was no line, I asked him a bunch of questions about how he got started drawing and about his career. He was very personable and funny. He never had formal training! A friend submitted his work to a magazine and he got published. How lucky is that?! It's sort of how Lynda Barry got started. I need that kind of luck. I asked him what artists influenced him. He mentioned Oski and another one whose name I forgot and am kicking myself for not remembering. I've been hoping the name will come to me, but it has been 4 days since he told me and it hasn't come back yet. Anyway, by the time I left, there was a line behind me that I didn't notice. Oops.




No comments: